Liquor License Applications
Obtaining a new Liquor License is a complex process and can be very daunting for a prospective Licensee whose background is more often than not in operational management of a pub, club or restaurant rather than in negotiating the web of red tape that can be involved in getting a liquor license granted.
RSA Liquor Professionals can provide expert advice and assistance in negotiating the liquor licensing process leaving prospective licensees to focus on other key operational tasks whilst this often lengthy process is undertaken. We specialise in assisting you to obtain everything from a simple low risk premises license to obtaining licenses for complex, contentious and high risk venues. We can also assist in applying for extended trading hours, amplified entertainment, off-premises catering and other approvals that may be required.
Our Director, Russell Steele, is a former Principal Compliance Officer and Investigator with the Office of Liquor & Gaming Regulation (OLGR) who brings his expert knowledge of the OLGR licensing process to assist in streamlining your application process.
Russell has 9 years’ experience in conducting new license risk assessments and recommending approval or refusal of new licenses and extended hours approvals across the State. Russell has detailed knowledge and experience in drafting license conditions to minimise harm and amenity impact and in writing detailed licensed area descriptions that can assist in speeding up the application process. Russell also has expert knowledge and experience in relevant approval and appeal processes within OLGR and can use this extensive knowledge in support of your application process wherever possible.
RSA Liquor Professionals doesn’t have fancy offices and large numbers of staff and accordingly don’t have to charge fees as high as our competitors who have much higher overheads. We keep costs to a minimum and acknowledge that many of our clients are small businesses trying to minimize costs like we are. We will match or better any reasonable written quote from other consultants wherever possible, so feel free to call or email us anytime to obtain a realistic quote that shouldn’t break the bank.
For a low risk application such as a small restaurant without live music and with ordinary trading hours we aim to be the best value consultant in the field. RSA Liquor Professionals charge as low as $3,000 in our service fees (plus GST and outlays) for low risk applications. Call or email us for a quote and we will provide the best price possible.
A typical liquor license application can include the following requirements all of which can be managed by RSA Liquor Professionals on your behalf:
- Completion of multiple OLGR application forms;
- Preparation of a mandatory Risk Assessed Management Plan (RAMP) for the proposed licensed premises;
- Preparation of a standard or full Community Impact Statement (CIS) including substantial information of population demographics, race, gender & employment statistics, other licensed premises profiles, assessment of community risk, community consultation and assessments of the likely health and social impacts of granting the license applied for;
- Ensuring all town planning, fire and building approvals are in place or scheduled prior to lodgment;
- Obtaining copies of all supporting documentation such as copies of registered plans, title searches, site plans, location maps, site photographs, menus etc.
- Coordinating advertising of the application on site as required; and/or
- Preparation of submissions to waive or vary advertising requirements and assistance with the objections process if applicable;
- Completion of all mandatory training requirements for management and staff and ensuring relevant training records, practices and procedures are established prior to opening;
- Drafting of submissions including proposed Principal Activity, trading hours, standard and venue specific license conditions, licensed area description and related information to assist in streamlining the OLGR application process;
- Acoustic testing and noise attenuation advice where required;
- Coordinating site inspections and comment by local councils, Police, and OLGR; and
- Regular liaison and follow up with OLGR staff to ensure the application is processed within normal timeframes.
RSA Liquor Professionals can assist with the entire process outlined above or consult in individual parts of the process on an as needs basis. Licensees should understand that the licensing process is a complex and often time consuming one and should allow for a minimum of 4 to 6 months for all applications and longer for some complex licenses, before your file even gets close to the delegated decision maker. No one can guarantee you will be granted a license as that decision rests with the Chief Executive of OLGR, but without expert advice you may not put your best foot forward or create unnecessary delays by not completing all necessary documentation.
A range of mandatory Government fees and other charges apply to the liquor licensing process and can be billed separately or included in a complete all inclusive quote whichever suits your specific circumstances. These additional fees and charges (as of the 2021/22 financial year) may include:
- OLGR New license application fees from $1,471 to $7,370 dependent on Principal Activity;
- OLGR Miscellaneous fees from $80.30 to $182.10 (multiple fees may apply);
- OLGR Approved manager application fees $540.10 per person (valid for 5 years);
- Criminal history check fees of all interested parties of $38.40 per person;
- Advertising fees including site signage – approximately $50.
- Local council inspection/comment fees from $615.00 (Brisbane City Council and others); and
- Annual fees ranging from $735.30 to upwards of $30,000 are payable by the applicant upon approval and on an ongoing annual basis. (full information on annual fees is available at OLGR publications – Datasets | Publications | Queensland Government)
RSA Liquor Professionals can help advise you on the best license for your business and help you obtain the license with as little hassle and cost as possible, just call or email us to get started.